Tuesday 15 July 2014

Monty Python Live (Mostly)



Hi All,

It’s Pam again this week.  A couple of weeks ago I went to see Monty Python Live (mostly) at the O2 so this week I thought I’d tell you guys all about it.


My dad is an avid Monty Python fan, has the box set of all the sketches and all the movies, and through my adolescence I have also been corrupted.  So when they announced they were doing 1 live performance last year I HAD to get the tickets, and it made an easy birthday and Christmas present for dad.  There I was sat at the computer logged in, the second it opened I was in the queue…..no good though, it sold out in 42 seconds I just wasn’t quick enough….but then…they added extra dates!! Wahoo! Straight back on the computer and this time I got tickets for the 4th July, think the phone call to my Dad afterwards to let him know is possibly one of the best I’ve ever made.  He had no idea I was trying to get them, and wouldn’t have done it himself.  Next step, get the day booked off at work so we could make a day of it in London, Dad booked the hotel and I sorted out the train tickets.


Last week came around and I was starting to get everything together for going to London, only staying 1 night so not much to take but trying to work out what shoes to wear…that was proving difficult, I know for someone that owns a ridiculous amount of shoes I should easily have something suitable but I really didn't.  I only really wanted to take 1 pair, didn’t want to be carrying another pair round all day until we could book into the hotel and also needed  them to be really comfortable for walking round London all day and night and right to the top of the O2 (I said I got tickets, I didn’t say they were good seats, we were right up on the top level but I don’t think it really made any difference in the end).  I settled on trainers, the problem is I haven’t bought any new trainers in ages and they are all pretty tatty nowadays, I tend to only wear them for walking the dogs on dry days now and wear my boots through winter and straight into flip flops and sandals once it warms up, then have my 'posher' shoes for showing the dogs and more tidy nights out, none of them are really suitable for a day/night in London.  So what did I do....I went shopping! The advantage of working for a shoe company (or disadvantage in the case of bank balance) is there is soooo much to easily choose from.  

I finished work on Thursday evening and toddled up to our Trowbridge store, none of the trainer trainers we have at the moment (DC, Globe, Etnies etc) were really doing it for me and with it being so warm last week I really wanted something that would breathe, then I had a brainwave...Go Walks! My Go Walk Everydays are so comfy I don't know why I didn't think of it before, Go Walk 2's it was.  I tell you what I have barely taken them off since, they are fab!! Instant comfort, the mesh upper breathes really well so my feet didn't get to hot, even on the stuffy underground and no 'wearing in'.


Friday morning me and Dad caught the train into London, we left just after the morning rush hour so we could make the most of the day and got to Paddington just after 11.  First up was an early lunch, a couple of tube stops and a short walk and we found TGI Fridays, I know its not the fanciest place and there are much more 'London' restaurants we could go to but they do good food and it is a treat for us to eat out anywhere...plus they do amazing cocktails!!  Lunch finished we had a wander round London, did a bit of window shopping and headed to the hotel to book in and freshen up before heading off for a quick bite to eat before getting to the O2.

The performance started at 7.30 but being like excited children on the night before Christmas we arrived pretty early, just after 6.  It did give us time to join the mahussive queue for the Monty Python merchandise though.  After purchasing a couple of T-Shirts (my fave being the one that said 'Keep Calm and Buy a Shrubbery') and a program we had a quick wander round the O2.  I never realised how much is there, its a almost a whole street of restaurants and bars, almost like being in Magaluf :) Having a wander round we found some serious Monty Python fans - A Lumber Jack who really must have been a die hard fan it was easily 25°c, he was baking!, Gumbies and a fair few Lumber Jacks girls.  Getting on for 7 we climbed our way to the top of the O2 and took our seats.  We were miles away from the stage but you could still see it all and the screens were HUGE so you didn't miss anything.  7.30 everyone's in their seats and show starts....it was amazing, loads of people said do you think they've still got it after all this time and the answer is simple...YES, totally YES.  It was great mix of old iconic sketches and songs like the Dead Parrot Sketch mixed with some newer stuff and a bit of ad libbing which lets face it always goes down well, John Cleese even managed to get the footy score in.  Changing between sketches they used the enormous screens for the classic cartoons and even had Stephen Hawking chasing Brian Cox in one of the videos.  I know that sounds like it makes no sense but when you watch it, it really does.  

After the performance it took a good 45 minutes to get out of the O2, there were just so many people trying to do the same and I have never seen a queue as long as the one to get into the tube station.  I'll be honest we took one look at it and went back inside for a cheeky drink whilst the queue went down.  A quick stop for a night cap in Canary Wharf on the way back to the hotel completed the perfect day, and my feet in their new Skechers Go Walks? felt like those good old comfy, well worn in slippers.

And the best bit....I get to see it all again, not by going back to the O2...my bank balance definitely can't cope with that twice in one month.  But Sunday 20th July Gold will be showing it Live on TV....wahhooooo! 

Pam
xXx       

4 comments:

  1. Hey glad you had fun I heard it was a cracking show!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Than you for your advice!.

    I told you that I liked to read your experience in London and that your father and ypu both enjoyed about Monty Phyton spectacle.

    Refering to "Go Walks" it's not strange that you forgot them. Sometines happens that when a pair of shoes is very comfortable, you forget them because it seems you walk barely as you say.

    Nice Monday and better week.

    I try to send this post....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks +Pedro! Pam's actually on Holiday today but she's back in the office on Wednesday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Pedro,

    It was a brilliant experience :) Love my Skechers so much I've bought another 2 pairs...oops! :)

    Pam

    ReplyDelete